Carly Wagner, P.E. Senior Engineer I
Carly Wagner is a Senior Engineer in WDP's Charlottesville office.
Carly specializes in building sciences and hygrothermal analysis, with an emphasis on building envelope energy code compliance and moisture accumulation issues related to the long-term building performance. She primarily assists owners and designers in the specification and design of products and materials during the design process to ensure assemblies are selected in a balanced and holistic approach, particularly in cases of retrofit and renovations of historic buildings.
“As a child, I always imagined myself as a teacher. Working in the field of forensic building sciences has allowed me to fulfill my passion for learning and knowledge. It allows me to solve unique and challenging problems, often times with innovative and non-traditional approaches. I really appreciate the opportunities I have to use physics and mathematics to explain issues that seemingly emerge from thin air, such as the phenomena of condensation and moisture accumulation related issues.”
- 12th North American Masonry Conference Outstanding Paper Award, May 2015
- American Concrete Institute National Capital Chapter Student of the Year, Spring 2008
Carly has written several papers in regard to the building envelope and hygrothermal issues. A few examples include:
- “The Challenges of High Performance Building Envelope Design & Construction”, CONSTRUCT 2011, Construction Specifications Institute, Annual National Convention, Chicago, IL, September 14, 2011
- “Evaluation of the Potential for Corrosion, Mold Growth and Moisture Accumulation within Typical Brick Veneer Wall Assemblies Designed per 2006 International Energy Code in a Mixed Humid Climate,” ASTM STP1549 Symposium on Building Walls Subject to Water Intrusion and Accumulation: Lessons from the Past and recommendations for the Future
- “The Hygrothermal, Energy and Long Term Performance Benefits of Masonry Exterior Wall Assemblies: An Owner's Perspective,” 12NAMC Proceedings, 2015, The Masonry Society