The building that was formerly known as the Performing Arts Building (housing the Department of Theatre), was originally constructed between 1900 and 1902, and started out as Blacksburg’s first Young Men’s Christian Association.
WDP was hired by Virginia Tech under our term contract to provide construction observation and architectural testing services for the renovations of the former Performing Arts Building. WDP’s scope focused primarily on Hokie Stone masonry and its details, but also included observations of other cladding and envelope components being repaired or replaced, such as precast concrete elements, windows, flashing, and below grade waterproofing.
Additionally, the University requested WDP to perform architectural testing to include the following QA water tests:
The full renovation was completed in October 2018 and was renamed the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. The building houses the college’s administration as well as both the Dean of Students’ Office and the Center for Humanities.
ServicesBuilding Science & Enclosure Consulting
Timothy A. Apisa, LEED AP, Senior Project Manager, Blacksburg Division Manager